Large, mature Pine trees visually define the village of March within the landscape
Location Burrendong Way (March, North of Orange)
Statement of Significance
The historic hamlet of March consists of a scattering of buildings along one side of Burrendong Way. A stone wall on the road frontage of 590 Burrendong Way signals the approach to the village from Orange. A few residences, St Phillip’s Anglican Church and March Primary School hug the road in a pattern indicative of many hamlet settlements of the nineteenth century.
The village is located on a slight plateau and looks West across rolling rural holdings. To the East is a mixture of remnant native vegetation and grassed agricultural land. A mix of Pines and Eucalypts grow in the road reserve through the village. As one approaches the village the darker green of the Pines marks the presence of the settlement.
Historically, March, along with Orange and Byng, was one of the first parishes in the district marked out by the government surveyor James Richards. March became a stop on the Cobb and Co route from Orange to Wellington in 1863. However, as transport grew in speed and effectiveness stops that grew up to service the need to frequently change horses were quickly overshadowed by regional centres.
Objects and Elements: Burrendong Way (March)
Stone Wall at 590 Burrendong Way
Remnant Vegetation on Burrendong Way, South of March
The community consultation process identified that stands of remnant Box vegetation on Burrendong Way form a significant landscape feature of the area.
March: St Phillip’s Anglican Church
The small church is dwarfed by the large Radiata Pine in the church yard and the remnant Eucalyptus viminalis in the road reserve.
March: Primary School
The small village school opened in 1886.
The small village cemetery stands in the yard of St Phillip’s Anglican Church.