An avenue planting of Eucalypts provides a backdrop for the grave sites in the
foreground, with flowers adorning many of graves
Location Lone Pine Avenue, Bowen.
Statement of Significance
Orange Cemetery was one of the early civic constructions at Orange. It was reserved and laid out in 1853 as a replacement for the cemetery at Frederick’s Valley, or Chinaman’s Bend Cemetery as it was later known. Each section of the cemetery was dedicated separately eg. the Jewish Section in 1989. However, the cemetery was not officially dedicated until 1924. The cemetery forms part of the record of the social and economic history of Orange. For example, epidemics such as influenza, typhoid, scarlet fever and diphtheria that affected generations can be traced in the cemetery.
The cemetery marks the lives of thousands of Orange residents and forms a personally significant place of remembrance for the families of those at rest there.
Orange Cemetery, the largest in the Central Western Region, forms a significant feature of the Orange landscape. Rising up a gentle slope, the cemetery is characterised by native and exotic mature trees and a range of grave sites from sandstone to marble, to the simple modern headstone.
The cemetery is listed on the register of the National Estate, with the range of monument styles and the fine crafting displayed in many of them contributing to its significance. Orange Cemetery is a Schedule 8 Heritage Item of State Significance in the Orange Local Environment Plan 2000.