A typical Glenroi streetscape
Location Area bounded by the Eastern side of the Railway Line; Bathurst Road; Lone Pine Avenue and extending to Catto Close in the South.
Statement of Significance
Orange City Council’s Development Control Plan (DCP) identifies the Glenroi area as having a concentration of housing from the Victorian and Edwardian periods as well as some good examples of the Bungalow style. These are mostly smaller houses built as “worker’s housing” for the nearby employees of the railway, wool stores and flour mill.
The relationship of worker’s houses and industry imparts added meaning for the urban landscape. The area considered as Glenroi here is significantly larger than that identified as the Glenroi Conservation Area in Orange Council’s DCP.
Objects and Elements: Glenroi
In 1941-1942 a Small Arms Factory was established at the Emmco site. Housing was required for workers at the site leading to the construction of cottages in Glenroi. A covenant on the Glenroi area required homes to be constructed of brick. The cottages were instead constructed in fibro and weatherboard leading Glenroi residents to refer to them as “Duration Cottages” as they were only to be “for the duration”. The cottages were identified by the community consultation as forming a significant part of the Orange townscape.
Duration Cottages Streetscape (Moresby, Buna, Kokoda and Brunswick Streets)
Electrolux Site, Edward Street
The site at which Electrolux now has its operations has been significant for the social and economic history of Orange. In 1941-42 ammunition factory – the Small Arms Factory – was built on the site. After WWII the factory was sold to Emmco and the factory was the first to mass produce consumer goods in Australia. Emmco later became Email, which was acquired by Electrolux in 2001. This site was identified as having significance through the community consultation process.
Endsleigh House, Endsleigh Avenue
Endsleigh House was built in 1856 for one of Orange’s early land holders, Joseph Moulder. The garden of Endsleigh House is one of the key features of the streetscape. Its mixed Conifer plantings of Cedrus and Chamaecyparis with contrasting deciduous species are typical of the original gardens in Orange. In Spring the flowering street trees define the vista South down Endsleigh Avenue.
A row of mature Radiata Pines lines the Northern side of Blowes Road and forms a distinctive border between the residential areas of Glenroi and Leewood Industrial Estate. The Pines show signs of nearing the end of their natural life span and a number of the trees have been removed. The Pines were identified by the community consultation process as forming a significant feature of the Orange landscape.
Bloomfield House was the first home built by Joseph Moulder and is believed to date from the 1840s. The house is surrounded by a garden that features many mature exotic trees.