Location Orange Golf Club, Woodward Street, Orange
Statement of Significance
Duntryleague was built in 1876 as a stately home for James Dalton, a member of the prominent Orange family, the Daltons. Duntryleague indicates the wealth of some of the Irish people who settled in Orange. Duntryleague, along with the Park, Gates, Gatekeeper’s Lodge and Stables, is listed on the NSW State Heritage Register. NSW Heritage states that Duntryleague is significant for its aesthetic qualities associated with its hilltop location, high quality styling and magnificent surrounding trees. The NSW Heritage Register also states that Duntryleague house is a good example of Victorian Filigree style, which can be seen in the ornate cast iron work around the portico and verandah. Furthermore, it is stated that the house is important for its association with the prominent Dalton family. The Mansion, Gateway, Gatekeeper’s Lodge, entry avenue and Stables are listed as Schedule 8 Heritage Items of National Significance in the Orange Local Environment Plan 2000.
Duntryleague was purchased by Orange Golf Club in 1935. The golf club has added large numbers of exotic and native trees throughout the golf course.
Objects and Elements: Duntryleague
The mansion sits on slight hill which affords it an outlook that takes in the golf course and the city beyond. The house features a large stained glass window that was given to James Dalton in 1877 when he was invested as a Papal Knight.
The Gatekeeper’s Lodge is a small cottage facing Woodward Street. It is divided from the street by the elegant curve of the painted iron fence. The Gatekeeper’s Lodge is a Schedule 8 Heritage Item of National Significance in the Orange Local Environment Plan 2000 and is listed on the NSW State Heritage Register