Area bounded by Moulder Street, Peisley Street, Prince Street and Woodward Street.
Statement of Significance
This precinct, identified for the purposes of this study as Central Orange, covers the one-square mile of the original town plan of 1866. This is essentially the area identified by the 1986 Hughes, Trueman and Ludlow Heritage Study and in Orange City Council’s Development Control Plan (DCP) as a Heritage Conservation Area. It is, however, extended here to include the area around the Civic Centre. Detailed research has previously been conducted on many of the heritage buildings within the Central Orange area, therefore the focus here is on the significant features of the urban landscape.
The townscape of Central Orange is characterised by a number of significant streetscapes with mature exotic trees, commonly Oak trees (Quercus sp.), Elm trees (Ullmus sp.) and Plane trees (Platanus x hybrida); a grid style town plan; wide streets; a range of heritage buildings and bluestone kerbing.
The widespread planting of exotic trees throughout the streetscape and within the parks provides a distinctive seasonal variation. Autumn colours, Winter bareness, Spring flowering and Summer green provide a changing palette that has become a defining feature of the urban landscape.
Central Orange is listed on the Register of the National Estate.
Objects and Elements
Heritage Domestic Buildings
A high concentration of late Victorian, Edwardian and Bungalow style housing is a key characteristic of Central Orange. The DCP notes that many have retained their original style of front gardens and fences, as can be seen above in Kite Street, enhancing the heritage character of the streetscape. A further key characteristic of the streetscape within Orange is the dual orientation of buildings on corner lots to both street frontages.
Bluestone Kerb and Guttering
Cultural Centre, Sale Street
Orange Public School and former Headmaster’s Residence
Designed by GA Mansfield in the Victorian, Rustic Gothic Style in 1880. It is now listed on the Register of the National Estate as having significance for its architecture; contribution to the streetscape; social connection with education in Orange; and its association with an era when the NSW Government was playing a greater role in the provision of education. The school building is a Schedule 8 Heritage Item of National Significance in the Orange Local Environment Plan 2000.
Uniting Church and Kindergarten Hall, Kite and Sale Streets
Lands Board Office, Corner of Kite and Anson Streets
Designed by NSW Government Architect WL Vernon and built in 1910, the Register of the National Estate comments that it is a good example of Federation era design. The Lands Board Office is a Schedule 8 Heritage Item of National Significance in the Orange Local Environment Plan 2000.
Esso Park, Woodward Street
Esso Park was identified as a significant landscape feature by the community consultation process for the significant planting of exotic tree species and for Esso’s, as former owners of the site, involvement in the development of the park.